So over break we were shopping and I found a French Bread Pan. I was so excited that I decided to make French Bread. Let’s be honest I was going to make it anyways because it is one of my husband’s staples for game day. I made to different kinds an Herbed French Bread and my famous Jalapeno French Bread which was adapted from a recipe in the BHG New Cookbook.
Jalapeno Cheese French Bread
· 2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 packages active dry yeast
· 3/4 teaspoons salt
· 1 cups warm water (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F)
· 1 egg white, slightly beaten
· 1/2 tablespoon water
· 4 oz jalapenos
· 2 ¼ cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. First proof yeast according to package directions. In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cups of the flour, the yeast, and salt. Add the warm water to the flour mixture. Add jalapenos and 1 ¼ cup of cheese while mixture is still moist. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
4. Roll portion of the dough into a 15×10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Roll up, starting from a long side; seal well. Pinch ends and pull slightly to taper. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl stir together egg white and water. Brush some of the egg white mixture over loaves. Let rise until nearly double in size (35 to 45 minutes).
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across the top of each loaf. Bake for 20 minutes. Brush again with some of the egg white mixture. Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes more or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove bread from baking sheet. Cool on wire racks. Makes 1 loaves.
Herbed French Bread
Leave out the jalapenos and cheese and instead add 1 T of Italian Seasoning to the flour, yeast and salt mixture.