Clean Monday is the beginning of Orthodox Lent and it starts with Lagana bread. Sorry about the weird measurements. This is a third of the recipe. We found this recipe four years ago and I hope to find the original recipe soon so I can provide the link.
Lagana (1/3 recipe)
1 pk active dry yeast
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup + 1Tablespoon + 1t lukewarm water
2-2 2/3 cups flour
1 t salt
1 T vegetable oil
1) Combine yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Let set for 15 mins.
2) Sift flour (start with 2 cups) and salt into yeast mixture. Stir mixture with wooden spoon. Dough should be soft to the touch. If sticky add a little flour. Use hands to finish mixing dough and shape in a ball.
3) Pick up ball of dough and add vegetable oil to the bottom of the bowl. Set dough in oil and roll in oil until coated. Let dough rise 45 mins – 1 hour until dough doubles in size.
4) Punch down dough and let set for 10 mins. Flour baking sheet and place dough on baking sheet. Shape dough into an oval on the baking sheet. Let rise for 30-45 mins. Preheat oven 375 degrees.
5) Before baking, use finger to press holes in dough. Then sprinkle dough with sesame seeds.
6) Bake for 30-35 mins.
7) Let cool. Enjoy!